Disney


All growing up, I was surrounded by Disney.  Not only did I watch all of the Disney movies possible, but I also went to Disney World (so many times), went to see Disney on Ice (a couple times), owned a ton of Disney toys and games, and had Disney princess costumes! My sister and I always loved to play dress up together. 

I became obsessed with The Little Mermaid, specifically because I have red hair.  When I was only a baby, I was Ariel for Halloween.  Since then, my grandmother always calls me “Ariel” and I love it! 

I felt like I could relate to Ariel the most because we look similar.  Growing up I was teased and sometimes bullied about my red hair.  Since red hair is not so common, and nobody in my family has red hair, I often felt like the odd child. 

During sad times in my life, I would reflect on the Disney princesses and how they all had to overcome something.  This made me hopeful that I too, would be able to conquer anything, especially if I was Ariel. 


At my age, I still enjoy to watch Disney movies.  I never quite analyzed them as we are doing in class, but I do see the hidden messages in them now that we learned about this task and that I can think critically about these issues.  


After reading Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us by Linda Christensen I was able to self-reflect even more.  When I was a child, I was not aware of “S.C.W.A.A.M.P.” per say and I was not yet a critical thinker who could analyze media in such a way.  Where I grew up, there was not much diversity.  However, when I decided to transition to Woonsocket High School, a whole new world was opened for me.  I learned much about people, their differences, and more.

Christensen says that "the impact of racism begins early" (Christensen 176) but I am not too sure I agree with that as a child.  As kids, we are innocent children who merely watched Disney movies because they were labeled as family oriented and entertaining.  As an adult, however, I would agree that there is racism in these films.  This is because I am now aware of all the mislead stereotypes and assumptions about people.

I am also sad at the realization of the domestic abuse in Beauty and the Beast.

While watching Frozen, for the first time, I noticed that it is much different than typical Disney princess movies.  Elsa and Anna are the main characters, which in most cases, a male tends to be the second main character.  Additionally, the sidekick in this film a Elsa's sister, Anna.  They were both powerful woman.  Elsa did not need saving by a man, she just wanted to be free.  On the other hand, in most Disney films, the female is not capable alone and needs a male character, who in most cases, saves her.

A couple years ago, when Frozen was a big hit, I dressed up as her for the Hasbro Children's Hospital Sickle Cell Celebration.  During this, I visited all the children, gave out gifts, and took pictures with them.  It was a very meaningful time for not only the children, but for me as well.


Comments

  1. Hello Hayley,

    Sadly, I was not able to identify that domestic violence was present on the Beauty and the Beast film. I got to see a little today and when the Beast Yields at Belle, I felt sad. I watched the movie one time and I did not pic up on this social issue.

    Frozen on the contrary presents a very different type of a Princess. Elsa was not your typical powerless, good behaved Princess. She was born with magical powers. Even thought she made a mistake and cursed and hurt her loves ones and her kingdom, at the end of the day both sisters saved the kingdom. I liked the fact that man was not portrayed as being the one with the power.

    Both girls were self sufficient. They did not need to be kissed and saved by a prince. They were both capable of guiding the entire kingdom by themselves. I really enjoyed watching Frozen. Let it go!, let it go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7

Digital Tool: TalkingPoints